[KDE/Mac] Thoughts on standard directories in Qt5 - QStandardPaths

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Sun Dec 7 16:29:23 UTC 2014

On 07 Dec 2014, at 16:48 , Marko Käning <mk-lists at email.de> wrote:

> So the question is, would KDE/KF5 apps actually make use of this path type and if so for what?

Turns out that this code section:
---
//    case ApplicationsLocation:
//        path = writableLocation(GenericDataLocation) + QLatin1String("/applications");
//        break;
---
lives in StandardPaths::writableLocation(StandardLocation type), which is perhaps fine
for OSX, as it is a non-writable location! :-)

In QStandardPaths::standardLocations(StandardLocation type) it is present as:
---
    case ApplicationsLocation:
        dirs = xdgDataDirs();
        for (int i = 0; i < dirs.count(); ++i)
            dirs[i].append(QLatin1String("/applications"));
        break;
---
and _could_ be fine the way it is.

Also it is in translateLocation(QStandardPaths::StandardLocation type):
---
    case QStandardPaths::ApplicationsLocation:
        return kApplicationsFolderType;
---

More I might know when my OSX/CI system built up to the end all of KF5...

(The build process is now starting with projects beyond tier 4! So far all build.)