[KDE/Mac] Thoughts on standard directories in Qt5 - QStandardPaths

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Sun Dec 7 15:02:12 UTC 2014

Hi Ian,

On 07 Dec 2014, at 02:52 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, I later found that the QStandardPaths code uses its ApplicationsLocation type internally,
> so it HAS to pick up where the application is actually installed (e.g. /Applications/MacPorts/KF5),
> unles we rewrite the QSP code a little…

as I have written earlier, this file type is a problem, as I see only now:
---
$ /opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/qt5/inst/bin/qtpaths --paths ApplicationsLocation
Unknown location: ApplicationsLocation
---
which is caused by me leaving the relevant code portion mentioned earlier already
out of my patch.

Since cmake gets -DCMAKE_INSTALL_BUNDLEDIR="Applications/KF5” on my OSX/CI system, I figure
that I need to change the QSP patch once more to also supply this file type.

>> Which reminds me: whatever changes are proposed, they'll have to be compatible with dbus and related ports.
>
> True.  That aspect would have to be rigorously tested.

Which is why we’re having our OSX/CI system in place! ;-)

> Errrmmm, no.  I am the doyen of the KDE Games group and I will defend to the death my
> right to write games.  I had enough of "useful" apps when I was working… :-)

:)

> Marko and I picked Bovo because I know the code base of KDE Games well and Bovo had
> been the the only game (at the time) to be ported to KF5.  It had relatively simple dependencies
> on KDE libs, so startup problems in KF5 and OS X would be relatively easy to diagnose.

Yes, as we see it turns out to be a good test case here.