[KDE/Mac] XDG vars (for bovo) on the CI system

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Dec 6 22:39:06 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Marko Käning <mk-lists at email.de> wrote:
> Hi Ben,

Hi Marko,

> triggered by Ian I restarted my "bovo activity” for the sake of the CI-QStandardsPath patch.

Okay.

> Only now I understood that I had a completely wrong assumption about how these standard paths
> work. For some reason I thought that the list of paths created by environment-generator.py
> would directly be fed into the corresponding env vars which will be picked up by the QSP patch,
> but now I see that it only accesses ONE path via the XDG_*_HOME variables [1] and not through
> XDG_*_DIRS!!!
>
> As discussed in the QSP thread on [2] I need to set those XDG_*_HOME env vars when
> calling bovo like this:
> ---
> $ XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/frameworks/kxmlgui/inst/etc/xdg XDG_DATA_HOME=/opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/kde/kdegames/bovo/inst/share /opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/kde/kdegames/bovo/inst/Applications/KF5/bovo.app/Contents/MacOS/bovo
> ---
> because only then it can find its configuration and data files!
>
>         I don’t think that this setting of XDG_*_HOME env vars is being
>         done during running tests for apps on the CI system...
>         Or is it?
>
> If not, how do apps find their various files on the CI system then?
>
> I am puzzled, since I still don’t fully understand how this all works… :-(

Bovo must be doing something wrong if it is using the XDG_*_HOME
variables. Those variables default to ~/.config and ~/.local on Linux
respectively.
The XDG_*_DIRS variables are the correct ones to be using in this case
- i've no idea why they're not working properly. Perhaps your QSP
patch needs some more work?

> Greets,
> Marko

Thanks,