[KDE/Mac] kmail usability

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 10:31:34 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I seem to recall that not so long ago someone mentioned how kmail was the MUA of choice in his work environment, and how he'd like to have it work on OS X.

I think that's the case now. I've identified the reason it crashed for me, and proposed a workardound (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44798). It looks like the application is ready for prime time now, esp. after Nicolas will have pushed KDE 4.13.3 so we won't have to put up with nepomuk/virtuoso hogging if we want email search capabilities.

In addition I proposed a patch for the imap-uw port that gives better control over where the server looks for mail archives (for those of us who use a local imap server for archiving): https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44811 . I'm mentioning this here because the kmail dev(s) refuse to implement an imap prefix feature as found in most other mail readers, reasoning that the mailbox subscription mechanism is sufficient. (It would if you could select a folder on the host that holds your mailboxes, without first downloading the FULL tree under your home directory).

Enjoy...