[KDE/Mac] KMyMoney, KCrash and more on KF5

"Marko Käning" mk-lists at email.de
Sun Aug 24 10:51:49 UTC 2014

Hi Ian,

> Long time no see.  I have been "resting" for a few weeks (that's what actors
> say when they are out of work).
:)

> Truth is I am stuck on a batch of problems which prevent Dr Konqi, kdeinit4, etc.
> from working on OS X and am not going to beat my head against them any more until
> I get some help from a KDE core developer.
> That help has been promised and I have sent off a whole lot of background
> info and detailed questions, but so far no reply.

Yes,  I know.
Well, I hope you'll get support some time soon, although I expect them to be pretty
absorbed still with getting KF5 straightened out on Linux for now.

> Looking at the log, I don't think it gets that far.  I think all those "QPainter::begin: Paint device
> returned engine == 0, type: 2" messages mean that it cannot find a paint engine (0) and that
> it is looking for an engine of type 2 (Mac OS X's QuickDraw, whatever that is).  The messages
> might be a red herring though.  I'd expect Qt 5 to be looking for type 10 by default (i.e. Raster)
> or possibly type 3 (Mac OS X's Quartz2D (CoreGraphics)), as Qt-Mac 4 does.  See enum
> QPaintEngine::Type.
>
> Try command "QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=raster qt5/extragear/office/kmymoney… etc." or
> "QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native qt5/extragear/office/kmymoney… etc.".  Or maybe you have
> that patch in KMyMoney that negates Raster graphics.  You should not.  That patch is in
> KApplication and apps should be using QApplication in KF 5.

OK, thanks for these pointers I'll try that.
See, I am also in need of a real KDE core developer to feed me with basic information like that!
;-)

> IMHO the reasoning in [2] is very much centred on Linux/KDE/Frameworks.  They decided to get
> rid of kde-runtime, but where to put Dr K?  So they bundled it into plasma-workspace.  We might
> find some other items that are needed by all KDE apps on all platforms.  KHelpCenter?  KGlobalAccel?

Well, khelpcenter on KF5 is a self-standing application independent of plasma-workspace,
if I am not mistaken. At least I could build it on the OSX/CI system without problem.
I haven't tested it up to now though... I think it is essential to get this to work!
How good is that to have your KDE application running on a non-Linux OS (be it Windows,
OSX or perhaps Android) and then not being able to read the application's help?!

kglobalaccel is a tier 1 framework and thus should be usable by other apps, but I [1] marks it
as not working on OSX, although I could build it no problem.

> Surely this problem applies not only to OS X, but also to Windows and other Linux desktops, such as
> Gnome (and a few others).  The KDE core developers really should think again about these cross-platform
> runtime things and put them in some more logical place.

+1

> For now, you might be able to build Dr K as a standalone app, but it would have to be ported to Frameworks
> and I don't suppose any of the core developers is doing that… :-(

Well, let's see.

[1] http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/