[KDE/Mac] Curious about Ian's GUI frontend for Macports

Guido Soranzio guido.soranzio at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 13:59:03 UTC 2014

On 15 April 2014, John Layt wrote:

> I've long said that we needed a FOSS Store for Mac and Windows to make it
> easy for people to find and install Free software.  Imagine any Mac or
> Windows user who downloaded Mozilla or LibreOffice got a FOSS Store app
> instead that had hundreds of free apps?  We'd be able to grow the FOSS
> world so much faster.

That is exactly the spirit I had when I started playing with MacRuby
to create a single script to switch among the several package managers
available on Mac OS X in order to avoid the conflicts during the detection
phase of autoconf scripts [1].

Unfortunately the development of MacRuby has been abandoned and I had
to convert my project to Objective-C and RubyMotion, I am still practicing
with. Guigna’s performances are much inferior to JPortsUI [2] which is
really thoughtful and well-made, but I think that a community project
written in Ruby and PyObjC instead of Java would have higher chances of
success among potential Cocoa and Mac contributors.

Guido

—
[1] https://github.com/gui-dos/Guigna
[2] https://code.google.com/p/jportsui/