[KDE/Mac] Curious about Ian's GUI frontend for Macports

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Tue Apr 15 16:13:58 UTC 2014

On 15 April 2014 15:40, Mario Fux <kde-ml at unormal.org> wrote:

> Then Ian, you mentioned something about an ObjectiveC GUI frontend you once
> wrote for Macports. Is there somewhere code, what were the reasons against
> it?
> I'm curious and as for endusers we'll need something fancy ;-).

Would that be Pallet https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MacPortsGUI which was
part of GSoC for a while?

I've long said that we needed a FOSS Store for Mac and Windows to make it
easy for people to find and install Free software.  Imagine any Mac or
Windows user who downloaded Mozilla or LibreOffice got a FOSS Store app
instead that had hundreds of free apps?  We'd be able to grow the FOSS
world so much faster.  I had hopes that Project Bretzen would fill the role
across all platforms but it withered on the vine.  Maybe Bodega will grow
to fill the gap.  Maybe AppStream or the like could be adapted.  Maybe
we'll all be so busy focussing on our own patch we'll never realise FOSS's
full potential...

John.