[KDE/Mac] Qt4-Mac differences and KDE apps

mk-lists at email.de mk-lists at email.de
Sat Apr 12 11:36:45 UTC 2014

Hi Ian,

On 12 Apr 2014, at 02:57 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is to let you know that some problems in KDE apps on OS X may
> be due to code accidentally using non-portable features of Qt.
this is very interesting, and it seems that our KDE problems page should have a section devoted to these topics.
Generally though this should rather be addressed by the KDE folks themselves.

> Marko has just reported a bug in Palapeli (a KDE app for jigsaw
Great. Out of curiosity I had just tested the latest 4.12.4 version because I had noticed some occasional crashes in an earlier version of the game.

> I noticed another case in which one of the KDE Games (KBounce)
> displays a message as black-on-black and there is a similar sounding
> bug (re QML Components) in Marko's list on:
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/KDEProblems
Ha, and another overlap here, although I came from KDevelop!
Is there a bug at b.k.o. for the KBounce issue?

It looks like our little wiki page already starts to do something good!!! :-D
I actually didn’t imagine that just creating this page would get immediate feedback among us, Ian. Look, we were in frequent contact, but didn’t come across these issues just by b.k.o. So the last night’s hours on my end were obviously already well-invested. :-)

> The solution, to both types of Qt non-portability, is for the KDE author or
> maintainer to re-program using some more portable feature of Qt or KDE.
Yup.
As said above I think we should have a section listing the issues we find on hour endeavour.

> I should have fixed the KBounce black-on-black problem.  I found it...
> … Somehow I forgot to get back to it.  Mea culpa …
Always good to identify a guilty one! ;-)

> I will be addressing the Palapeli and KBounce bugs as soon as possible.
> My former GSoC student is maintainer of KBounce and I am maintainer
> of Palapeli … :-)
Great.