[KDE/Mac] launching kded

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 02:20:35 UTC 2013

On 14/01/2013, at 10:10 AM, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> Am 13.01.2013 18:46, schrieb brad:
>> How should one go about launching kded4? Should this be done automatically
>> somehow?
>
> This should normally work automatically. You might want to try if
> running kdeinit4 starts up kded4 and if it does, register it to be run
> at system startup as Ian described.
>
>> Background:
>> I recently had a problem using digikam for uploading images to a website. The
>> problem was that kded4 was not running, which means code using khtml could not
>> access cookies; thus the webservice failed. Once i started kded4 it worked and
>> all was well. It seems cumbersome to start kded4 by hand each
>> time i want to use cookies w/ a kde app. Is there a better way to have kded4
>> start automatically or on-demand when a application needs it?

My guess is that running kbuilsycoca4 (just once) from the command line, might
fix Brad's problem.

It constructs an index of where to find and how to run plugins, kparts, other apps and
utilities that might be needed when KDE apps are running.  It seems to fix quite a few
problems with broken KDE apps on the Mac.  I can even make my own jigsaw puzzles
now (Palapeli, KDE Games) on my Macbook … :-)  The slicer process would not run
until I had run kbuildsycoca4.

Cheers, Ian W.