[KDE/Mac] C++11 Platform Support

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Nov 25 17:33:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sunday 25 November 2012 at 17:30:56, Milian Wolff wrote:
> I'd welcome it if you could give some feedback to the questions raised here:
>
> http://milianw.de/blog/c11-platform-support
>
> tl;dr; I want to use C++11 in KDevelop code. What does that mean for
> platform support? It's easy to figure out which compiler has the required
> features, but what platform comes with such a "good" compiler?

Fedora currently has the following versions of GCC (including g++, of course)
available as the system compiler:
Fedora 16 (EOL expected February 2013): 4.6.3
Fedora 17 (current stable release): 4.7.2
Fedora 18 (release expected January 2013): 4.7.2
Rawhide (development for Fedora 19 and later): 4.7.2
(Fedora 15 and earlier are no longer supported.)

(Disclaimer: The Fedora 18 release may be subject to further schedule slips.
Current updated schedule: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/18/Schedule
The end of life of Fedora 16 will be 1 month after the Fedora 18 release.)

So, by the time you release KDevelop 4.6, it is likely that all supported
Fedora releases will have at least version 4.7.2 of GCC available. Therefore,
there are no objections from Fedora against making GCC 4.7.x a hard
requirement for KDevelop 4.6.

        Kevin Kofler