[KDE/Mac] Help with uninstall...

Joan aseques at gmail.com
Tue May 8 14:22:36 UTC 2012

Hi Nunzio, some answers to your issues but not much luck neiter :)
Ultimately I'm trying to migrate our office (20+ macs) away from ical/mail
M$oft apps...esp since Lion.

> I followed the instructions here:
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/KOffice/Download#Mac_OS_X

Those instrucions are really old, someone should remove them, they're for
kde3, forgot about that..

> So if you have a second, could you point me in the direction of some
> answers to the following questions?

The most updated site is this ->  http://community.kde.org/Mac
Altough I am compiling everything using homebrew (
http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/)

> 1. How to start the KDE environment (is it from X11?)

With current apps you don't need X11, and after lion there won't be the
possibility to install X11 on mac (at least from default disks)

> 2. Can i start koffice, WITHOUT starting the whole KDE environment

Yes, you only have to compile it with appropiate flags

> 3. How do i remove the KDE install completely?

If you installed from macports, you should be able to follow macports
uninstall
http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html

> I have spent a while digging through the various sites to find answers,
> but to no avail!

Koffice is not really mature in mac at this point, it can compile but still
needs some work in the code to allow working.

I really appreciate any suggestions you have.

> You can see what I've tried/accomplished in another thread, I was trying
to compile krita, the excellent grafical editor from calligra suide
(koffice no longer exists)