[KDE/Mac] MacPorts bundle package

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Aug 26 10:58:17 UTC 2012

hi,

i hope this is a good place for this ;-) i'm part of the RKWard development
team. RKWard is a KDE-based GUI for R:
 o http://rkward.sourceforge.net

we've been working on a Mac port of RKWard for a while now, and thanks to the
MacPorts version of KDE, this went really well so far. now that the port is
basically working[1], we'd also like to offer a bundle package for Mac users,
including R and needed parts of KDE, just like we do for the Windows port[2],
so you don't have to compile all of KDE just to check out RKWard.

actually, there already is such a bundle package available for testing:
 o http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkwardextras/files/MacOSX/
this .dmg file was made using the packaging features of MacPorts. the only
problem is its size, almost 1GB compared to ~130MB of the Windows bundle. that
is because all related ports end up in the bundle recursively, including the
toolchain for the building process. so the next step would be to find an
elegant way to exclude all ports which are not needed to run RKWard. i guess
this means finding ways to make the packaging much more modular.

i was hoping to maybe find some of the KDE portfile maintainers here? if so,
maybe we could join forces to tweak our ports a little. in the end these
efforts might simplify making precompiled binary packages of KDE for Mac OS
(that said, the current RKWard bundle already is like an extended monolithic
KDE base/libs binary installer, but of course our sole focus is on RKWard
itself). so, this is not about asking anyone to actually provide binary
packages, but to try to enhance the portfiles so that packaging the beast
becomes easier for anyone who wants to do it :-) at least, i wanted you to
know what we're working on.

viele grüße :: m.eik

[1] http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=RKWard_on_Mac
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkwardextras/files/