[KDE/Mac] Packaging (was Re: [rkward-users] problem installing on Mac)

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Mon May 10 18:00:47 CEST 2010

On Monday, May 10, 2010, Mike Arthur wrote:
> I'm not meaning to be a prat here but it's really not that hard to create
> these packages yourself. It's certainly a lot easier than creating binary
> packages on Linux. If someone volunteers then that's great but this list
> doesn't generally get a lot of activity so I'm just preparing you for the
> possibility that you'll have to do it yourself or not get a package at all.
> KDE on Mac is extremely niche and there's not a lot of us doing a lot of
> regular work on it.

I'm distributing universal binaries of my VMPK program for Mac OSX (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmpk/files/ ) because it is a Qt4 only
program, and being the only required dependencies a few Qt4 libs it is easy
to create a single bundle containing everything necessary. But for a KDE
application this is just impractical. That is more or less solved by Fink or
Macports, for the technical matters. The other (social) side of the issue is
related to the community nature of KDE. But if there is no community
involvement and the developers feel that they are simply left on their own,
they may prefer to avoid porting KDE applications to Mac. Or even avoid
creating KDE applications at all.

Regards,
Pedro