[KDE/Mac] critical regression or misconfiguration? Fallback to hicolor icons does not work

Jonas Bähr jonas.baehr at web.de
Sat Jan 2 23:00:51 CET 2010

Hi,

On Mac OS X (1) KDE applications don't find their hicolor icons. The
reason for this is that there is no "index.theme" inside $PREFIX/share/
icons/hicolor. As soon as such a file is added (for testing I've just
copied Oxygen's and changed the name) the fallback for missing oxygen
icons work.

The big problem here is that 3rd party applications usually don't
provide their icons for every possible theme but simply install one
icon set in hicolor, so *no* application specific icons are shown.
AFAIK hicolor should be the fallback if an icon is not found in the
current theme. In addition the oxygen's index.theme claims that it
inherits hicolor.

It does not matter if the icons are installed into $PREFIX/share/icons/
hicolor or $PREFIX/share/apps/<application>/icons. As soon as a
$PREFIX/share/icons/hicolor/index.theme is installed both location
work as expected.

Is this a kde bug or do I miss an important dependency which installes
an icons/hicolor/index.theme?

(1) Using KDE libs and base-runtime 4.3.4 installed via macports. The
application in question is Krusader from extragear/utils, also
installed via macports.

regards,
Jonas