[KDE/Mac] Hi (from Kolab Client "Team", part of)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 24 09:20:39 CEST 2010

Am Montag, 23. August 2010 17:42:39 schrieb Mike McQuaid:
> It's worth mentioning that I've never worked on KDE on Mac stuff as a KDAB
> employee and may never do so. Anything I say on this list is with my KDE
> hat on, not my KDAB one :)

Hopefully interests are overlapping a lot, which is the case with most
good Free Software initiatives.

> I guess I just mean the patches that are specifically listed in the
> Macports/Fink build files and can be easily obtained from there. For
> example:
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/kde/kdelibs4/Portfile and
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/kde/kdelibs4/files

This has only a few patches.
What about starting a list of patches that should go upstream?
Maybe in a wiki? Techbase?

> >> - Most non-technical OSX users expect a .app bundle distributed in a
> >> .dmg and using Sparkle for updates. CPack provides the capability for
> >> fixing up the dependencies in a .app bundle and creating a DMG.
> >
> > During the contract we found out that our effort is not large enough to
> > fully solve the binary, source and update distribution mechanism of a
> > full blown product on Mac OS X. So we wanted to join the initiative that
> > is closest about solving this, including the dependency management for
> > Free Software on Mac OS X. MacPort seemed to be the best solution at that
> > time according to an analysis by Emanuel. This could have changed over
> > the last 9 months or so.
>
> I don't disagree that it's the easiest, just perhaps not the best for end
> users (or whoever installs it).

Given limited resources, I believe it is better to deliver something
coming out of a mid term viable infrastructure and trying Mac people a bit
to use it. As opposed trying to create a slick installer and then fail to
follow through with updates over the next years.

Best,
Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.