[KDE/Mac] Developing KDE on Mac

Wed Aug 18 21:55:32 CEST 2010

Op 18 aug 2010, om 21:27 heeft Mike McQuaid het volgende geschreven:

> Fine, that's your call. The user will notice when Fink updates their package and it breaks your installer. The Fink KDE maintainer thinks this is a bad idea, you might consider listening to him but I'm not going to stop you.

> Again, you're telling the Fink maintainer that his problems are trivial. I somewhat doubt that.

Yep, Fink updating a package which breaks the installer is a risk. It's one of the things on the list of "problems to think about before starting the code work". And I don't have to be very honest to think Benjamin will agree that the problems he listed are no more than things to think about, not showstoppers; checking if I've thought about it and it's not just a useless mindspin.

I've been a maintainer and packager for Fink for a while now, learning more about how it works in a broad sense. However eventhough Benjamin is way more experienced than I am, and he and I are on good terms, his word is not the only word worth listening to. We are both human and the only way to figure this out is to try it.

I will research this further, and any breakthrough I will tell you about. I would be grateful if you could keep me or this list up-to-date with your CPack progress. I'm sure together we can make KDE a much more pleasant experience on the Mac.

Sjors