[KDE/Mac] Developing KDE on Mac

Benjamin Reed rangerrick at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 17:47:58 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Mike McQuaid <mike at mikemcquaid.com> wrote:

> As an example of my method, here's how to make a Qt application that finds and installs all it's own dependencies in CMake:
> http://gitorious.org/charm/charm/blobs/master/Charm/CMakeLists.txt#line228
>
> This lets "make package" build a droppable .app installer of this Qt application on OSX. I could change one line and make it create .pkg installers instead. The .dmg is 6.4MB and the installed .app is 20MB. This somewhat destroys your claim that "bundling a Qt framework inside the .app makes the .app grow by a few hundred MB".
>
> Patches/bugs are currently in the CMake bug tracker which, when fixed, should make this almost a one-liner.

I'm obviously a supporter of Fink, being one of the core maintainers
and all, but I think trying to package fink with a frontend would be a
nightmare.  First, what do you do with people with existing Fink
installs?  Upgrade their dependent binaries with new debs,
potentially?  Make the KDE packages in somewhere other than /sw?

I'd rather work on making CPack Do The Right Thing for all of KDE out
of the box, which benefits other platforms as well.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick
Fink, KDE, and Mac OS X development

Blog: http://www.raccoonfink.com/