[KDE/Mac] Developing KDE on Mac

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Fri Aug 13 23:36:49 CEST 2010

2010/8/13 John Layt <johnlayt at googlemail.com>

>  On Thursday 12 August 2010 23:41:45 Sjors Gielen wrote:
>
> > Well, in that case, you should definitely check the current patch to
>
> > kdesupport and the way they build their kdesupport packages: it's very
>
> > very likely that the problems linking to dbus are fixed in there. (Now
>
> > that I come to think about it: DBus isn't Mac-shipped, so it's in your
>
> > MacPorts installation; you should probably give a --configure flag or
>
> > LDFLAGS, to make it link to the right one.
>

> > > ld: library not found for -ldbus-1
>

> > > /opt/local/lib/libdbus-1.dylib
>

> > So try adding: LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib" and it will likely find it.
>
> > MacPorts probably does this automatically in its build system, as does
>
> > Fink. :)
>
> Hi Sjors and Nicolas,
>
> Thanks for the help, but unfortunately neither suggestion worked.
>
> I tried LDFLAGS, no joy, I already have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set and other
> parts of kdesupport had linked OK.
>
> I've looked through the MacPorts patches to Strigi and kdelibs but there's
> nothing that would help with the linking (I tried anyway, no joy).
>
> Not sure where to go from here, but I guess I need to learn more about
> library linking an Mac :-)
>
> John.

John, others,

I recently tried to build kde on my mac mini and ran into the same issues.
Macports phonon is too old to build kdelibs with, so I'm trying to build
kdesupport instead and getting the same failures.  Looking in my
CMakeCache.txt it has -L/opt/local/lib in many places, but in the link.txt
of strigi/strigidaemon/bin/daemon/dbus/dbustest it doesn't and that's the
first one that's failing.  Adding it in there manually gets past that and
then fails on another part of kdesupport.  I think somehow these test or
sub-projects aren't getting all the top-level link paths for some reason,
though I've no clue why.

I think next I'll stop trying to build kdesupport myself and just build
phonon and install taglib, strigi, soprano, etc. from macports.

just my 2c,
Jeremy Whiting