[KDE/Mac] Developing KDE on Mac

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Sat Aug 7 15:02:34 CEST 2010

John, folks,

On Saturday 07 August 2010 13:46:09 John Layt wrote:

> Being lazy here, I want to set up a KDE dev environment on my Mac to test
> all the locale stuff I'll be doing and was wondering what the recommended
> approach is?
>
> I have a MacPorts install at the moment, albeit a bit outdated, is there a
> way to use that for dev work, or do I have to checkout and compile a
> separate install as per the outdated
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Mac_OS_X?

What I do, as someone developing KDEPIM almost exclusively on a Macbook
running OSX, these days, is get all dependencies from macports, by installing
their current kdepim4 packages, then uninstalling those bits that I intend to
hack on and building them myself, in my case kdelibs, base/runtime, pimlibs
and pim, along with select things from kdesupport, namely akonadi and soprano.
I then install into a separate prefix from macports, and use KDEDIRS and
XDG_DATA_DIRS to establish my "overlays" as first in the search path. I used to
also have a separate KDEHOME for my trunk work, and the normal one for
macports, but these days I have uninstalled kdepim4.4 from macports and am
using 4.5 branch productively, so I just use that KDEHOME.

Cheers,

Till