[KDE/Mac] Authentication API for KDE

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:28:28 CET 2009

Hello lists,

You might have known about the fact that PolicyKit has been integrated into
KDE, and that I'm trying to push it as a standard for authentication. Though,
PolicyKit is not multiplatform, and hence I'm writing you.

Basically, we want to give developers a nice framework to obtain high level
privileges in their application. We use DBus activation, that lets you start
applications (helpers) as root, and PolicyKit that controls if the caller was
actually authorized.

My idea was to write a library with pluggable backends (Solid, anyone?) for
the sole purpose of checking authorization, just like PolicyKit does. Have a
look at polkit-qt API (kdesupport), I'd like to have something like that.

But to create a rock solid API, I need your help. I need to know if Mac and
Windows have interest in something like that, and if they have an equivalent
mechanism to check authorizations, and possibly some details on how it works.

Please CC me in replies, I'm not subscribed to any of the two lists.

Cheers
--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer