[KDE/Mac] Speech recognition in combination with kde

Edmund Highcock email at edmundhighcock.com
Sat Jan 31 14:59:26 CET 2009

  dear kde Mac developers,

Apologies if this list was not meant for requests like this -- please
let me know.

I'm using speech recognition software, generally to dictate code using
Kate. However, there is a fundamental difference between the way the
cursor is controlled in kde than in Mac OS X. which is as follows:

If you use shift plus left or right arrow key to select some text in
MacOS X, then let go shift and press the --opposite-- arrow key, the
cursor will return to the --beginning-- of your selection. If you do
the same operation in kde then the cursor will stay in the same place,
i.e. at the --end-- of your selection.

  This fundamental difference is almost a showstopper for using the
speech recognition software, because it means that all the software's
correction facilities do not work.

Do you know of any way in which I can change that behaviour? Your help
would be really appreciated.

Edmund