[KDE/Mac] here there be updates

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 16:32:58 CET 2009

On Jan 22, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> +1 here
> > We could do that but why "/Applications/Macports/KDE4" as opposed to
> > "/
> > Applications/Macports"?
> > It would look neater but beyond that's what's the advantage?
>
> Well, it is just a matter of opinion, but for me it is just nice to
> organize things like this. Qt4 has /Applications/Macports/Qt,
> similarly my various python installs have their own dub-dirs.
> Personally I would like to have all the KDE4 apps in their own sub-
> dir, rather than have them cluttering up the root /Applications/
> Macports directory... Just my 2 pence worth.
>
> BTW, is it possible for the KDE applications to have their proper
> icons ? At the moment they all get some default icon here. Not exactly
> high priority...
>
> i agree for both statements! Even better the /Application/Macports/
> KDE4 should contain only symlinks to the /opt/local/bin executables,
> so the macport installed program remain always in a single directory!
So 4.2.0 will have apps installed in /Applications/Macports/KDE4 with
no links in /opt/local/bin.
If they were to be installed in /opt/local/bin I would have had to
manually find and manually symlink the programs which belong only in /
Applications. That's a lot of work for not much payoff.
It's still possible to symlink the apps in /Application/Macports/KDE4
into /opt/local/bin though. Matter of fact, sounds like a nice little
project for you or Chris to tackle :-D

And speaking of a lot of work without much payoff; cmake and kde4
portgroups magically popped up in: http://trac.macports.org/changeset/45913
.
Rumor has it the new kde portfiles will be using them. They're pretty
easy to use (like a python import I guess) and cut down a lot of the
portfile wordiness.
Jonas you might be interested in this.