[KDE/Mac] Trying to compile Kile on MacOS 10.4.11: Failed at apple-gcc42

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 01:26:26 CET 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 6:37 PM, Janus wrote:

> 2009/2/27 Janus <janus at rtfm.org.ar>:

>>> Glad you figured it out. There's another person on this list
>>> interested in kile so please do let us know how/if it works for you.
>>
>> Thanks. Sadly, it doesn't work. I compiled without problems
>> apple-gcc42, and did all the ditto commands as the "Manifesto" says,
>> also, just in case, I change by hand the gcc symbolic link to point
>> gcc-apple-4.2.
Eh? The instructions from the Manifesto should give you plain gcc-4.2
executables, not gcc-apple-4.2. I think you may have used to incorrect
portfile (i.e. the one included with macports and not the one from the
trac ticket). The macports apple-gcc42 port, last I checked, doesn't
build c++ compilers (so you'll get a gcc-apple-4.2 for instance, but
no g++-apple-4.2

>> Then, I installed the KDE dmg packages, and when I try to compile
>> kile, I get exactly the same error as before.
>> Now, I am trying to compile the macport package kdeutils4, which is a
>> newer version (4.2 instead the dmg 4.1.2) following the advise of
>> Thomas.
>> I will let you know if I have success.
>
> When I do port install kdeutils4 to get version 4.2 of kde, I get a
> really rare error. I am in a PowerBook G4, it has a PPC procesor, and
> I get the error:
> [ 93%] Built target OSXScriptLauncher
> Linking CXX executable ../bin/ccmake
> /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: for architecture i386
> /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: warning
> /usr/lib/libcurses.dylib cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match
> cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)
> /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: Undefined symbols:
>
> Why is it trying to compile i386 code? Where can I modify to don't?
I'm guessing that you have +universal somewhere in you variants.
If you're installing from macports though, macports' curses not the
system's should be used. Seems like you're doing something funky. And
without more output from the error, I can't help you.