[KDE/Mac] Country / Locale settings in non-KDE desktops/OS

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Aug 27 20:25:05 CEST 2009

Aaron J. Seigo said the following, On 2009-08-27 19:48:
> On Thursday 27 August 2009, John Layt wrote:
>> KLocale lives in kdelibs, but the .desktop config files for each country
>> live in kdebase/runtime/l10n.  If kdebase is not installed (say the user
>> only wants 1 KDE app like Amarok or Digikam)
>
> as Ralf already pointed out, kdebase-runtime is as much a dependency for any
> KDE application as kdelibs is. that's why it's called "runtime".
>
>> Even when kdebase is installed and the country files and SystemSettings are
>> available you still have to know to manually configure to use the right
>> country, and even then some of the settings may be inconsistent with the
>> host.
>
> sounds like KLocale needs to be able to back-end onto the different host
> systems, at least for defaults.

Maybe this helps; as for MS Windows, there are fallbacks to system defaults:
We have the folowing in KLocalePrivate::initLanguageList():

#ifdef Q_WS_WIN
   rawList += QLocale::system().name(); // fall back to the system language
#endif

Similarly there is an ifdef for Windows in KLocale::encoding() so if KLocale
is asked about system encoding.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
  Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)