[KDE/Mac] KDE4/Mac torrent packages: Pixmaps not showing up/apps not very functional

Manish Chakravarty manishchaks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 12:25:39 CEST 2008

I tried out the KDE4/Mac torrent package.
I did use the chmod a+x ..... fix as explained on mac.kde.org

I am facing the following problems (screenshots attached )

1) None of the KDE applications are displaying pimaps/icons correctly
2) konsole is unusable ( no text is being displayed, tab names not
visible) http://www.flickr.com/photos/manish_chaks/2613141130/
3) KDevelop launches up weirdly, no splash screen, Ui fuzzed http://www.flickr.com/photos/manish_chaks/2613140454/
4) Dolphin shows now pixmaps/icons as well. Ark opened from dolphin is
useless http://www.flickr.com/photos/manish_chaks/2613140094/
5) When I launch kwin.app I get the following error :
open /opt/kde4/bin/kwin4.app/
LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10661 for the file /opt/kde4/
bin/kwin4.app.

( I think kwin is not supposed to be present on OSX as it already has
a window manager.. well sort of )

Environment:
I opened all the commands using OS X's "open" command ( eg: open /opt/
kde4/bin/dolphin.app/)
I tried opening apps using the "vanilla" bash shell environment and
then again with  PATH set to :
PATH=/opt/kde4/bin:/opt/kde4-deps/bin/:/opt/qt4/bin/:/usr/bin:/bin:/
usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

In both the cases, I faced the same errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Manish Chakravarty

PS: I am writing a book called "Programming with KDE4 Using C++" I
currently build KDE4 on my Ubuntu box, ssh to it from my mac and work.
I am writing the book on my Mac. It would be very useful if I could be
in a state where I am able to work on the Mac only (ie I am able to
use KDE4 and then build applications using kdelibs primarliy )