Trouble with konqueror on http authentication

Erik Rull erik.rull at rdsoftware.de
Thu Jan 28 22:39:00 GMT 2021

Stefano Crocco wrote:
> On martedì 26 gennaio 2021 22:04:15 CET Erik Rull wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I don't know how to get this working again. I just updated to 20.04 from
>> 16.04 (kubuntu LTS) and before the update this was working great:
>>
>> I start my Linux box (just power on) and remote SSH into the system
>> (X-Forwarding enabled). Then I open my applications and also konqueror. This
>> works all fine and smoothly, websites are displayed fine. Until I try to
>> access a website with HTTP-Authentication - there I directly get a 401 - no
>> asking for a password, nothing, just the 401 page directly. Firefox prompts
>> me for the username/password and shows me the page behind the
>> authentication. So the server is fine. I tried multiple servers and
>> konqueror behaves always the same.
>>
>> Any idea what I broke during the update?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Erik
>
> Hello Erik,
> do you by any chance know whether your previous version of Konqueror still
> used the WebKit engine or had it already switched to QtWebEngine? In the first
> case, I think you can have found yet another feature which stopped working
> with the switch to the new engine.
>
> If your current Kubuntu version still provides KWebKitPart, you could also try
> installing it, select it as default web engine in the General tab of the
> Konqueror settings page and check whether the HTTP Authentication works with
> it. If it does, the problem lies with QtWebEngine, otherwise, we'll need to
> investigate somewhere else.
>
> Stefano

Hi Stefano,

I don't know exactly. How can I check this and / or switch the engine?
When opening konqueror and access e.g. google.com then a new process is listed
with QtWebEngineProcess - so I assume this is the QtWebEngine.
I tried to search for kwebkit in aptitude - nothing found...
Maybe it is hidden in a different named package?

Best regards,

Erik