[kde-linux] Where is the KDE Trash Can?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jun 9 19:40:56 UTC 2016

Dale posted on Thu, 09 Jun 2016 12:55:57 -0500 as excerpted:

> Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
>> I run digiKam 4.6.0 on KDE 4.14.9 under SuSE 13.2
>>
>> Today, I deleted three photos with digiKam.  As the digikam manual says
>> that they have been moved to the KDE Trash Can, I wonder where this
>> trash can is.
>
> If you drop a file on it, it puts it in the trash.
> Where things really go, not real sure honestly.  I've never looked.  If
> you use Dolphin etc as a file manager, this URL should get you there:
>
> trash:/

Normally, each filesystem will have a directory, .trash/ I believe, at
its root, if you've trashed anything on that filesystem.  However, either
that directory must exist and be writable by the user (other than root,
which absent other restrictions can write anywhere regardless of
permissions) doing the trashing, or the root dir on that filesystem must
be writable by that user in ordered to create it, so the files can be
moved there instead of actually deleted.

If that directory does NOT exist or isn't writable by the user doing the
trashing (again, other than the root user), or the filesystem root isn't
writable by that user if the dir doesn't exist, then obviously the files
can't be moved there as they can't be written to that location by that
user.  In that case, they're normally moved to a directory inside the
home dir, instead.  I /think/ it would be ~/.local/Trash by default, but
am not sure, particularly for kde4.

There's now a freedesktop.org trash specification that I believe both
gnome3 and kde5 use.  However, kde4 was in development concurrently with
many of the freedesktop.org specs and didn't honor all of them yet, so
I'm not sure if kde4 fully abides by the fdo trash spec or not.  Anyway,
here's a link to it so you can read about it in detail, if you like. 1.0
is the latest version.  =:^)

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/trash-spec/

And just in case you were interested in learning more about their other
specs...

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/

Tho as they say, freedesktop.org is not a standards body.  These specs
have been developed by interested parties and describe the mechanisms and
locations shared by multiple desktop environments, but adoption is
voluntary and some have better adoption than others, often because a
particular spec doesn't fit the way a particular desktop works, or
because a particular desktop hasn't had a major release to incorporate
the spec, since the spec developed to a point at which it was practical
to do so.  (This latter case is the situation kde4 was in for a number of
the specs, making kde5 the first full adoption of several of them.)