[kde-linux] Wayland!

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jun 7 00:47:57 UTC 2016

David Baron posted on Mon, 06 Jun 2016 10:19:07 +0300 as excerpted:

> A lot of these packages are getting installed as part of routine
> upgrades,
> i.e. in Debian Sid.
>
> Are we going over to Wayland?
> How does this work with current Xorg?
> Safe to even start with this right now?

I had the same question some months ago...

Current kde/plasma5 actually requires the wayland libs to build and link
against, now.  It doesn't mean you actually run wayland at all yet, tho
that's possible but not yet recommended as it's still a pretty rough
experience.

While current release requires wayland, I'm actually running the gentoo/
kde project overlay's live-git packages here (tho I moved a few days ago
and haven't updated yet since), and pretty regularly read the new
activity in the git logs as I update.  Wayland development is quite
active in the core, primarily kwin, with supporting commits elsewhere in
the frameworks and plasma components when needed to test the new kwin
code on wayland.  A lot of kwin code has been moved around and refactored
in ordered to split functionality into the various components so the
wayland code is separate from the traditional xorg/opengl, which is
separate again from the newer egl, and common code is again separate in
its own files as well.  Additionally, there's a focus on libinput, which
as I understand it is a relatively new option on xorg, but will be the
primary (only?) input mechanism on wayland.

Anyway, before the refactoring, the early wayland code was pretty much
intermingled, thus the requirement for it now even when it's not expected
to be run.  But when the refactoring is complete, it seems to me that it
should again be possible to build a "pure" xorg plasma, not pulling in
wayland at all, if that's desired.  And similarly, eventually it should
be possible to do the same with wayland, tho there's going to be enough
not yet ported xorg apps that will be run in a rootless-X inside wayland
for quite some time, that it'll be awhile before a wayland-only build
will be practical for many.

In fact, just as kde4 was a transition between the old kde-only
configuration for most legacy apps and the XDG-spec config was pretty
much limited to new ones, and only with kde/frameworks/plasma5 are apps
generally fully transitioned to the XDG-spec, I'd expect a lot of
generation 5 (k5) apps to continue to be xorg only, and that many may not
actually transition to wayland until k6, with some being left behind in
the process, just as some k3 apps got left behind and didn't make k4, and
some k3/k4 apps (like superkaramba, unfortunately one of my personal
favorites) aren't being ported to k5.  (Superkaramba only remains
available in its k4 form and has been dropped from further development,
so will eventually break and fail to build any more with modern tools and
against modern libs.)