[kde-linux] how to get kde applications version with commandline

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 4 17:26:52 UTC 2016

On 02/28/2016 06:42 PM, Duncan wrote:
> teppisti-xpla posted on Sun, 28 Feb 2016 09:47:02 +0100 as excerpted:

>>> By querying --version of an application, e.g.
>>> kate --version dolphin --version ark --version
>>>
>> hi kevin, it doesn't work ... :-)  :-)  :-)
>>
>> googling
>> in august 2015 kde applications was:
>> KDE Ships KDE Applications 15.08.0
>> and I cannot see any bigger or similar to this
>>
>> pla at suseST-pla:~> kate --version
>> Qt: 4.8.6
>> KDE Development Platform: 4.14.17
>> Kate: 3.14.17
>> pla at suseST-pla:~> dolphin --version
>> dolphin 15.12.2
>> pla at suseST-pla:~> ark --version
>> Qt: 4.8.6
>> KDE Development Platform: 4.14.17
>> Ark: 2.19
>> pla at suseST-pla:~> konsole --version
>> Qt: 4.8.6
>> KDE Development Platform: 4.14.17
>> Konsole: 2.14.2
>> pla at suseST-pla:~> systemsettings5 --version
>> systemsettings 5.5.4
>> pla at suseST-pla:~>
> Those Qt 4.x, kde 4.14.x, versions, are still the kde4 (4.14.17, here
> based on qt 4.8.6) versions.
>
> It is worth noting, however, that with kde/frameworks5 and kde apps 15.x,
> applications are switching from the older qt/kde4 versions to the new qt/
> kde5 versions individually, one at a time as their maintainers consider
> them ready.  This is quite unlike the kde3 -> kde4 switch, as kde4 wasn't
> as modularized as kde/frameworks5 is, and everything that at the time
> shipped with kde core had to sync on the same kde core version, so the
> choice was either use all the new versions even when some aren't ready,
> or use all the old versions even tho upstream isn't updating most of them
> any further and they're effectively unsupported.
>
> So kde apps 15.08 still shipped with a lot of kde4-based apps, and even
> kde apps 15.12 ships with a significant number, tho a few more apps have
> switched to their frameworks5 versions in 15.12, compared to 15.8.
>
> FWIW, I'm running kde apps 15.12.1 here, tho I only have select apps
> installed and kate isn't one of them, tho kwrite is.
>
> $ kwrite --version
> kwrite 15.12.1
>
> $ dolphin --version
> dolphin 15.12.1
>
> $ ark --version
> ark 15.12.1
>
> $ konsole --version (as posted earlier)
> Qt: 5.5.1
> KDE Frameworks: 5.19.0
> Konsole: 15.12.1
>
> $ systemsettings5 --version
> 5.5.4
>

> All of those but systemsettings5 are part of kde apps, with
> systemsettings5 being part of plasma, thus the differing version there.
> And all reported --version outputs correspond to the package versions I
> have installed, here on gentoo:
>
> kde-apps/kwrite-15.12.1
> kde-apps/dolphin-15.12.1
> kde-apps/ark-15.12.1
> kde-apps/konsole-15.12.1

> [...]
The situation becomes even more confusing with the current 5.20.0
release and the 15.12.3 applications.  Some of these will still build
for only Qt-4 while others will build for either Qt-4 or Qt-5 (with KF5)
some depending on whether Qt-4 or Qt-5 is available and a very few
having to be told to use KF5 even if they can't find Qt-4 because I
removed it from the PATH as per BLFS instructions.

So, I wouldn't really say that the version of the application is the
important thing to know.  What is important to know is whether you are
using a KDE-4 or KF5 application -- presuming that unless something went
wrong that you should be using the latest installed application for the
respective KDE-4 or KF5 systems.

This does leave a user with a problem.  If you have both KDE-4 and KF5
versions of an application installed, there is no way to tell them
apart.  The desktop files do not have different names for the
applications (e.g. Konquror-4 & Konqueror-KF5) and the desktop files do
not have paths in the "Exec" statement so you always get the same One
dependent on the PATH.

So, I think that I will have to install the KDE-4 versions of the
missing KF5 applications in the KF5 directory and remove the KDE-4
directory from the path.  Special cases will have to be made for Kalarm
which has a TimeZone problem with KF5 and Konqueror which I what to have
both versions of available.

-- James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch

--