[kde-linux] Recompiling for KDE5

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Mon Sep 21 12:49:45 UTC 2015

Hi all,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Ralf Mardorf <kde.lists at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 14:16:54 +0300, David Baron wrote:
>>How does one recompile older (KDE4/QT4) widgets and runners so that
>>they will run on KDE5?
>
> You should mention the used distro and if it's a release model distro,
> the distro's release. I can't help, but I send a similar request to
> a list of one of the distros I'm using. It seems to be that building
> with qt5 isn't done in the same way for all distros.

Just recompiling is not enough, as it is quite likely that more than a
few things have changed, especially the libraries used, and most
likely the code has to be ported to QML first before compiling.
Currently Plasma5 doesn't use widgets in the old form anymore, but has
switched to QML for most of those things, so all widgets not already
written in QML need to be rewritten first, at least that is what I
understood from reading the various porting documents.

Reference for the ongoing port of plasma addons:
https://todo.kde.org/?controller=board&action=show&project_id=11
(accessible with a KDE identity account)

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org