[kde-linux] 4.14.3 issues #1 Folder Widget

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 19 02:10:54 UTC 2015

On 10/18/2015 12:14 AM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 15:32:34 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> Note that if "Lock in Place" is not chosen that "Fill by" will have the
>> same effect as "Arrange in"
>>
>> Again, this is a case of the need for design and the problem is that the
>> coder did not do the design work before the code was written. Excellence
>> in code requires proper design.
>
> Thanks very much for that exercise in (for me, self-)lucidity. =:^)
>
> I've run into exactly the same issue in other cases as well, and
> experienced a similar frustration, without the ability to quite put into
> words why it wasn't exactly right.  You explained it so well.  The
> ability for individual rows or columns to self-arrange, without removing
> the constraint on which one they're in in the other dimension, complete
> to the point that some columns/rows may be several units longer than
> others... really does express the rather vague thought I had about how
> it /should/ be, that I couldn't quite put into words! =:^)

The ability to analyze things is a learned skill; I was not born with
it, although I was born with an analytic mind as are most engineers.  I
was taught it in college.  Self taught hackers that denigrate a college
education in EE & Computer Science do not realize that you learn things
besides using a programing language.  I took classes in programing,
numerical analysis, and system analysis where not one line of code in a
programing language was mentioned. Although in some you were expected to
turn in homework in a computer language (it didn't matter which one, you
had your choice and could use your favorite).

<SNIP>

> But I can definitely see how that level of attention to perfectly
> functioning detail would get under some developer's skin, particularly
> those that are continually fascinated by and often already jumped onto
> the next big thing, before the current one even really works to a level
> either you or I would define as "well".

That is the problem with self taught hackers and why they are not
software engineers.  They need a designer and engineer to work under,
but they are unable to do so.

> Oh, well.  As they say, "such is life!" =:^\

Yes, KDE has (or, I fear, had) great potential.  It just needed a little
work when it was in version 3 to steer it in the right direction as well
as some design work and quality control.  Now with the Plasma Desktop
that apparently will never have well written code and the stagnation of
Konqueror (the universal browser was KDE's greatest feature and coders
felt compelled to wreck it), I see little hope for it long term.  It
clearly needs some "Steve Jobs" types that want things to 'just work'
and by that he meant work correctly, not what some hackers appear to
mean when they say that something works, doesn't it?  Canonically
correct and complete [math term] code can be written and it is less work
to have such code in the long run because it doesn't do strange things.

I have not tried to code since I started taking medication for my
stroke.  I don't know if I can manage the concentration to do it well.
But, I suppose that I should try to fix this problem.  I hate the
thought of trying to patch Plasma code.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch