[kde-linux] how to have a plasmoid that shows the current activity name like the kashew in the top right of screen?

yahoo-pier_andreit pier_andreit at yahoo.it
Wed Jan 14 11:24:39 UTC 2015

On 01/14/2015 09:11 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2015-01-13, 18:36:45, yahoo-pier_andreit wrote:
>> I'm starting to use activity, but I would like to know at a glance in
>> wich activity I am
>> how to have a plasmoid that shows the current activity name like the
>> kashew in the top right of screen?
>> but in bigger and more readable characters and colors..
>
> There is an activity switcher applet, but I am not sure if it can do the
> configuration options.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

I saw it, but no configuration possibility, only show and switch but
characters are as small as the cashew, I used stdin-plasmoid to show the
activity name with tha command
qdbus org.kde.ActivityManager /ActivityManager/Activities ActivityName
`qdbus org.kde.ActivityManager /ActivityManager/Activities CurrentActivity`
and 3seconds refresh

and a qlm plasmoid with this code:
import QtQuick 1.1
import org.kde.plasma.core 0.1 as PlasmaCore
import org.kde.plasma.components 0.1 as PlasmaComponents

Item {
     width: 10
     height: 10
     id: mainitem
     property string userName

     PlasmaComponents.Label {

         text: i18n(userName)
	font.pointSize : 12
	color: "blue"
     }

     PlasmaCore.DataSource {
         id: whoamisource
         engine: "executable"

         connectedSources: ["qdbus org.kde.ActivityManager
/ActivityManager/Activities ActivityName `qdbus org.kde.ActivityManager
/ActivityManager/Activities CurrentActivity`"]
         onNewData:{
             mainitem.userName = qsTr("KDE Activity=") + data.stdout
         }
     }
}

but if I put in a panel it doesn't refresh tha activity name

and also a python plasmoid with this code:
# Written by Grissiom chaos.proton at gmail.com

# This script is inspired by ruby-cpufreq plasmoid and released under GPL
# license. It noly goal is to display CPU frequency. If you want to do CPU
# scaling, try PowerDevil.

# Thanks to:
# wd <wd at wdicc.com> for sharing his/her script that teach me to use file
object.
# Wang Hoi <zealot.hoi at gmail.com> for teaching me getting font from
Plasma.font()

from PyQt4.QtCore import Qt
from PyQt4.QtGui import QFontMetrics

from PyKDE4.plasma import Plasma
from PyKDE4 import plasmascript
import os

class CpuFreqDisplay(plasmascript.Applet):
	def __init__(self, parent, args = None):
		plasmascript.Applet.__init__(self, parent)

	def init(self):
		self.setHasConfigurationInterface(False)
		self.setAspectRatioMode(Plasma.IgnoreAspectRatio)

		self.ft = self.font()
		# set to a reasonable pixelSize
		self.ft.setPixelSize(30)

		# from plasmaengineexplorer, solidservice seems not working on
		# my box. So I cannot use DataEngin here...
		# signal cored machine will have /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/ too.
		# FIXME: What if the box have cores with different frequency?
		# f = os.system("whoami")
		# afreq = os.system("whoami")
		# f.close()
		# self.afreq = os.system("whoami")
		self.afreq = os.popen("qdbus org.kde.ActivityManager
/ActivityManager/Activities ActivityName `qdbus org.kde.ActivityManager
/ActivityManager/Activities CurrentActivity`")
		self.cfreq = self.afreq.readline().rstrip("\n")
		# now = f.read()
		# self.afreq.sort()
		# self.cfreq = 0
		# self.update_freq()

		#self.startTimer(1000)

	def paintInterface(self, p, option, rect):
		p.save()
		text = "KDE Activity=" + (self.cfreq)
		self.color = Qt.blue
		p.setFont(self.ft)
		p.translate(rect.x(), rect.y())
		p.scale(float(rect.width())  / p.boundingRect(rect, Qt.AlignTop |
Qt.AlignLeft, text).width(),
			float(rect.height()) / p.boundingRect(rect, Qt.AlignTop |
Qt.AlignLeft, text).height())
		p.setPen(self.color)
		# from the doc: The y-position is used as the baseline of the font.
		y = QFontMetrics(self.ft).ascent()
		p.drawText(0, y,  text)
		p.restore()

def CreateApplet(p):
	return CpuFreqDisplay(p)

but I was looking for something better...