[kde-linux] How do I disable the popup which appears when I change workspaces?

Mun Johl Mun.Johl at Emulex.Com
Fri Apr 3 16:36:06 UTC 2015

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the thorough reply.
Please see my comments below.

On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 07:40 PM PDT, Duncan wrote:
D> Mun Johl posted on Thu, 02 Apr 2015 17:46:41 -0700 as excerpted:
D>
D> > My Platform:
D> >    CentOS release 6.4 (Final)
D> >    Qt: 4.6.2 KDE: 4.3.4 (KDE 4.3.4)
D> >
D> > I would like to disable the popup that appears every time I change from
D> > one workspace to another.  The popup provides a visual representation of
D> > all of my workspaces and graphically shows my starting and ending
D> > workspaces.  Although cool, I would prefer to disable this popus--if
D> > only I could figure out where the setting lives.
D>
D> Disabling those popups should be possible, and is /definitely/ possible
D> in current kde4 (4.14.6 with 4.11.17 plasma, on qt 4.8.6) but that
D> version of kde4 is so old (over half a decade), that I'm not sure how
D> well the below instructions translate, particularly since kde reorganized
D> its kde system settings control panel along about 4.5 (which is when kde4
D> actually finally became stable and reasonably usable IMO, the 4.3 you are
D> on over half a decade after release was IMO beta quality at best, with
D> 4.4 finally reaching rc quality and late 4.5 finally reaching reasonable
D> release quality) or 4.6, IIRC.  So YMMV in terms of finding what
D> corresponds to the below on something that old, but here's where you'd
D> make the change on anything even /reasonably/ close to current...

Unfortunately, I don't have any control regarding the software updates.

D> KDE system settings, workspace appearance and behavior, workspace
D> behavior, virtual desktops.  It will default to the desktops tab.  Change
D> to the switching tab.
D>
D> On the switching tab there are several settings related to what's
D> displayed on desktop switch.  You can change or disable the desktop
D> switching animation by selection on the animation dropdown.
D> Additionally, there are checkboxes for desktop switch on-screen display,
D> and desktop layout indicators.  Each of these controls some aspect of the
D> switching display, and can be enabled/disabled/configured, separately.

It appears I am out of luck.  I don't have the exact hierarchy as you
describe, but I did find some Window and Desktop Switching Effects
controls under "Desktop Effects".  However, there is a note on that page
stating that "Compositing is not supported on your system."  Thus, all
of the settings are grayed out.

In any case, thanks very much for the reply.

--
Mun