[kde-linux] KDE-4.14.0 doesn't work

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Sep 13 05:54:41 UTC 2014

James Tyrer posted on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:21:04 -0700 as excerpted:

> I usually go ahead and update GCC because if there is a building problem
> with anything on the LFS/BLFS sites, there is a fix for it.
>
> Now I see that GCC 4.9.1 has been released so there might have been some
> problems with the ".0" release.  So, since LFS is going to upgrade to
> that, I will try building Qt-4.8.6 with that and see if it works.  That
> will take a while even with a 4400+ processor.

In general that has been my experience with gcc on gentoo as well;
there's usually fixes available, most often already found on gentoo's
bugzilla so I don't have to go far. =:^)

But that still takes time, time I've not seemed to have enough of,
lately, and that sort of thing's rather low on the priority list when I
can simply wait until it's about to be unmasked to ~arch as all known
package issues with the new gcc have been addressed and the maintainer is
putting out a last-call for developer testers before ~arch gets it, which
is the stage at which I finally upgraded to gcc 4.8.x.