[kde-linux] konsole won't move/resize - how do I just set everything back to default?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:31:32 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 2:22 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht posted on Tue, 09 Sep 2014 15:35:13 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I'm having a problem again with the KDE window manager settings for
>> konsole. Basically konsole starts and works fine but KDE won't allow me
>> move it or resize it.
>>
>>    When I look in "More Actions->Special Window Settings" or "Special
>> Application Settings" everything appears to be deselected and grayed
>> out. There are some numbers in a couple of boxes but nothing is
>> activated anywhere that I can see.
>>
>>    When I look at another app (Okular?) the settings look very similar
>> but it moves and resizes fine.
>>
>>    So, how does one completely reset KDE's settings for konsole so
>> that KDE can do whatever a new account would do?
>
> $KDEHOME/share/config/kwinrulesrc
>
> $KDEHOME/share/config/konsolerc
>
> $KDEHOME: Unless you have set this manually, the default path should be
> ~/.kde or some variant, perhaps ~/.kde4 or the like on distros that have
> supported multiple kde versions at some point.
>
> The first one is the kwin window rules file, the second one konsole's
> config.  I'm guessing it's in one or the other.  As usual, consider
> making a backup of the file before testing, and ensure the application in
> questin isn't running when you mess with its config file.  That's going
> to mean kwin not running for that one, which means either switching to a
> different window manager for a bit, or working with the file either from
> some other DE or from a text console.  Since ensuring konsole isn't
> running is a bit easier, I'd suggest testing that one first.
>
> --
> Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

I had edited
Interesting results in kwinrulesrc. There are 4
'Description=Application settings for konsole'. Three appear to be
identical, one different.

I assume I can just delete these?

mark at c2RAID6 ~ $ cat .kde4/share/config/kwinrulesrc
[1]
Description=Application settings for konsole
clientmachine=c2raid6
clientmachinematch=0
maximizevert=true
maximizevertrule=2
placement=Smart
placementrule=2
position=0,0
positionrule=2
size=764,1045
sizerule=2
types=4294967295
wmclass=konsole
wmclasscomplete=false
wmclassmatch=1

<SNIP>

[11]
Description=Window settings for konsole
clientmachine=c2raid6
clientmachinematch=0
screen=0
screenrule=4
title=mark : bash รข Konsole
titlematch=0
types=1
windowrole=mainwindow#4
windowrolematch=1
wmclass=konsole
wmclasscomplete=false
wmclassmatch=1

[12]
Description=Application settings for konsole
clientmachine=c2raid6
clientmachinematch=0
position=0,0
positionrule=4
types=4294967295
wmclass=konsole
wmclasscomplete=false
wmclassmatch=1

<SNIP>

[2]
Description=Application settings for konsole
clientmachine=c2raid6
clientmachinematch=0
position=0,0
positionrule=3