[kde-linux] Gwenview Questions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Nov 4 05:56:44 UTC 2014

Vojtěch Zeisek posted on Mon, 03 Nov 2014 20:59:11 +0100 as excerpted:

> I use this function in digiKam (KDE 4.14, openSUSE 13.1) - it has been
> there for many versions. I think it requires kipi plugins. Do You have
> that package installed?
> Vojtěch
>
> Dne Po 3. listopadu 2014 13:18:10, Robert Rea napsal(a):
>> KDE 4.10.5 "release 1"
>> opensuse 12.3
>>
>> In the previous version I used with opensuse 11.0 there was a utility
>> to find duplicates and eliminate them. I don't see this now. Is it
>> supplied somewhere else?
>>
>> When I view a pic in full screen, it doesn't fit itself to the screen
>> as the older version did. Is there some way to change this?

Yes, that would be kipi-plugins.  Both digikam and gwenview can use them.

(Meanwhile, please don't top-post.  It screws up the quote logic for
further replies.)

As for the full-screen thing, gwenview's default changed.  It now seems
to be shrink the displayed image to size of the window if the image is
larger than the window, but view at 100% if it's smaller than the
window.  So the whole image should be visible either way, but gwenview no
longer zooms in by default if the image is smaller than the window.

That disturbed me too.  I actually found and installed an alternative
viewer called gimv (GImageView, gtk-based) as a result.

But after a couple versions, gwenview got an option in settings, on the
imageview tab, to "enlarge smaller images".  (For some reason that
setting is grouped as if it's supposed to be part of the mousewheel
settings.  I'm not sure if that's deliberate or not, but even knowing the
option is there, I just about missed it when I just now opened gwenview
settings to verify, because I expected it to be a main option, not under
mousewheel.)  That returns to the behavior you (and I) preferred.

However, current kde is 4.14.  With minor feature-release bumps every six
months, 4.10 is two years outdated now!  I don't remember when the
default zoom behavior change occurred and when the checkbox was
subsequently introduced to return it to how it was, but it's quite
possible you're on one of the versions between when the new behavior was
introduced and the introduction of the option to let people wanting the
old behavior get it.  If so, I'd suggest upgrading to something a bit
more current...

However, I actually found a better solution for me, and thus have that
gwenview option set to keep small images to 100%.

The solution that works better for me is the zoom desktop effect,
available (if you're running kwin as your window manager, which you
likely are if you are running kde and haven't specifically chosen
something else) in kde system settings, workspace appearance and
behavior, desktop effects, on the all effects tab.

Zoom should be the last effect under the accessibility group.  Once
you've enabled it, you can click the configure button to see and/or
modify the keyboard shortcuts that control it, and to set the size of the
zoom step and mouse behavior while zoomed.

Here, I set meta-ctrl-arrows (meta=win[1]) as my zoom keys.  win-ctrl-
down zooms out, win-ctrl-up zooms in, and win-ctrl-left restores actual-
size.  These are intuitive and MUCH easier for me to remember than the
default accelerator keys, and with the win/meta key as part of the
combination, they don't conflict with individual app accelerator keys.
=:^)

I have zoom-factor set to 1.01, which while a tiny increment on its own,
yields a nice smooth zoom effect when the shortcut keys are held down,
triggering repeat-zoom in or out.  Mouse pointer I have set to keep as
the other options didn't work well for me, and mouse tracking is set to
proportional.  Note that some of the mouse tracking options were buggy in
older kde4 versions, but as of 4.14.2, they all seem to work reasonably
well, here.

What's nice about the zoom effect is that kwin uses OpenGL based hardware
acceleration for effects if you have it set to do so (desktop effects,
advanced tab, compositing type), and on reasonably modern hardware, it's
quite fast.  With Radeon Turks (hd6670 IIRC) graphics and the native
freedomware kernel and mesa drivers, I get very smooth zoomed
functionality with no hickups even tho I'm running a full triple Full-HD
monitor setup (stacked for 1920x3240 total desktop display area).  I
remember a time when things didn't work so well on hardware compatible
with freedomware drivers...

But what's particularly nice about using the zoom effect with gwenview
set to display images at 100%, instead of using gwenview's zoom, is that
the opengl zooming is less pixelated.  At over 4X zoom the effect can get
noticeably blurry, but I still find that less annoying than the blocky
pixelation at similar gwenview zoom, and sometimes I'll combine them, say
2X gwenview zoom, desktop zoom from there, reducing both pixelation and
blurriness from that of just the one zoom type alone.

I've found kwin's general desktop zoom similarly useful for other things,
say zooming in on a low resolution video playing at 100% size instead of
zooming the video window to several hundred percent, or sitting back and
zooming in on konsole or firefox windows while keeping several windows on
the desktop so I can mouse the viewport between them, instead of
maximizing individual windows and zooming the content using the
application.

Since I use the kwin desktop zoom effect so much it's instinctive these
days, and because it's both faster and less pixelated than individual app
zoom (including gwenview), even tho gwenview has an option to enlarge
small images by default again now like it used to without the option at
all, I keep that option turned off now, so small images stay at 100%, and
use kwin's generic desktop zoom effect on them instead, same as I use it
for all my other zooming needs. =:^)

---
[1] Meta key:  FWIW, what kde refers to as meta is also variously known
as the super or hyper or windows key, and I set various combinations of
windows key shortcuts to control all my windows functionality, from meta-
end aka win-end replacing alt-F4 to close a window, to win-c for the cube
desktop-switcher effect, to win-ctrl-arrow for the zoom effects, to...