[kde-linux] Hard Disk issues

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 20:07:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, 2014-01-23, 11:11:43, James Tyrer wrote:
>> On 01/22/2014 10:29 PM, Duncan wrote:
>
>> > While I don't have that tool installed either, I'd wonder if one or both
>> > problems are permissions related.  Presumably the liveCD has permissions
>> > adjusted just right... either directly or (more likely) via polkit,
>> > systemd, etc, which I know I don't have nor want on my system here.
>>
>> I presume that KInfoCenter managed to find other information by reading
>> the /proc directory.  I understand that KInfoCenter uses Solid.
>
> It is unlikely that it is reading /proc if it is using Solid (which is
> likely).
> As far as I know the two Solid (disk) backends for Linux are currently HAL and
> udisks, maybe already udisks2.
>
> Depending on the backend it would be interesting to check if the system has
> the data and it is filtered out by Solid or if the data is not available to
> Solid in the first place.
>
> Of course based on the assumption that it is using Solid, haven't checked :)
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
> KDE user support, developer mentoring

I've not used KInfoCenter before but the app (at least on Gentoo's
kde-meta-4.11.2-r1 which I'm using) has issues. In my case it sees all
6 disk drives (5 spinning & 1 SSD) but it can only count from 0 to 9
for CPUs. Here #11 & #12 are numbered -1!

Additionally, the app doesn't inform me that my 5 drives are also part
of a RAID6.

Anyway, if nothing else an interesting little app I guess.

If someone wants some script ideas for understanding drive
configurations, etc., then one of the mdadm RAID list guys published a
good python one called 'lsdrv' that I've found helpful at times. First
link in Google.

Cheers,
Mark