[kde-linux] stop empty floppy drive announcement

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 18:17:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I have them on 10 of my 15 most used systems, therefore I make use of them.

Nobody is suggesting you shouldn't make use of floppy drives but only
that KDE & Linux devs may not be putting any effort into supporting
these anymore. Unlike you I haven't had a floppy drive in ANY machine
for at least 5 if not 8 years now. I put all my old floppy discs
through a shredder to ensure they were destroyed about 4 years ago.

Much like a recent thread about USB scanners, sometimes Windows or the
Mac has support first because the scanner manufacturer does a Windows
or Mac driver. They cannot sell a scanner into that market without the
driver. They work with M$ to ensure what is needed is there or they
don't sell scanners.

Unfortunately these companies don't generally care about selling into
the Linux market as much so Linux gets support generally when some
interested dev creates a Linux driver. (Or does modifications, etc.)

The issue here isn't whether you should be able to use floppies. Go
ahead and use them. However if you don't like the way things work then
a users list isn't the place to get a real fix done. You need to find
an interested KDE or Linux developer willing to do the work, or you
need to do it yourself, or you need to pay someone to do it.

- Mark