[kde-linux] stop empty floppy drive announcement

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Nov 12 09:01:52 UTC 2013

Felix Miata posted on Mon, 11 Nov 2013 23:43:25 -0500 as excerpted:

> How? Every time I login, focus is stolen from Konsole's restoration by
> the inane popup announcing the presence of a floppy drive with no media
> in it.

Well, here on gentoo I have the udisks, etc, USE flags turned off, and
the related deps not even installed, so I don't get those sorts of
announcements any longer.  That's /one/ way to stop it! =:^)
Unfortunately it won't help much for people running binary distros that
ship with all that stuff turned on at build-configure-time. =:^(

But... while I don't have that stuff turned on to check exactly where to
look and thus must rely on memory, IIRC, there's two ways to do it via
run-time configuration.

1) Removing the device-notifier plasmoid from your panel entirely /may/
do it (or not, I can't test), but of course then you'll lose
notifications for cds and USB sticks you plugin as well, tho of course
you can still deal with them manually, using the same methods used before
the device-notifier was available.

2) IIRC, there's a device notifier config available either in kde system
settings or from device-notifier's context menu (right-click), possibly
both, that contains a list of all previous detections and whether to
notify about them or not.  You /might/ be able to turn it off there.

Finally, since floppy drives are pretty much obsolete and rarely used
these days, if you very seldom or never use it, you may wish to consider
disabling the floppy in your BIOS and/or unplugging/removing it.
(Probably not the latter on a laptop, where removing it would leave a
hole, but it's reasonably easy on a standard desktop.)  If you leave it
plugged in and just disabled in BIOS, you can always reboot and reenable
it in BIOS if you do need it for something or other.

[Wandering OT now.  TL;DR folks can stop reading]

Even optical drives are /heading/ toward obsolescence.  When my 8-year-
old machine died about 15 months ago, I bought mobo/cpu/memory/graphics
for a new one and hooked up the old drives and PSU to the new one, but
didn't bother with an internal optical drive.  I did buy a BluRay USB
drive and CD/DVD burner, the thought being that I could use it with my
netbook too, but most of my music, all of my software, and some video
arrives via internet today, instead of the optical CD/DVD I'd have used a
few years ago, and mostly the thing simply sits there, unplugged.  And
where people /do/ use removables, it's most commonly USB sticks today, so
DVDs are only a few years behind CDs, which are only a few years behind
cassettes and floppies, which were only a few years behind vinyl records
(yes, I know records have come back in a niche, but none of the others
have, and it's a niche that already appears to be dying again) and 8-
tracks, which...  They're all either already obsolete or quickly headed
that way.

...  I remember when one of the last series I watched regularly before
quitting TV back in the early 90s (wikipedia says 1993-1996), SeaQuest-DSV
(set in the then "near-future" of 2018), had its characters discussing
the to-the-characters obsolete CD technology.  In their world these
little plugin chips had replaced spinning media.  I guess the analogy
would be if people bought read-only USB drives with their music on them
now.  I remember trying to imagine what it'd be like ...

But of course it was the Internet, wifi and G3/G4 cellphone tech, that
ended up replacing CDs with on-demand-from-the-cloud, before the
predicted chip-based-albums were introduced.  And while video technology
has advanced and HD-video resolutions (with quad-HD on the horizon) have
so far kept full-common-resolution video out of reach for many on the
net, at least to the extent that BluRay video remains quite viable in
comparison to CDA (CD Audio) music, the old standard-resolution video is,
like CD-quality audio, often most conveniently delivered via internet,
and for many, even HD-quality is competitive, BluRay physical optical
disc vs internet.  In another decade, or even a half-decade, BluRay will
likely succumb as well, and only a move to quad-HD might possibly keep
physical video delivery viable.

But even if it does to that point, beyond that, a decade to decade and a
half out, quad-HD is likely to be the limit where people simply aren't
going to pay more for better quality video just as CDs were for audio,
and HD-Audio never took off due to lack of demand.  It'd debatable
whether quad-HD will take off, in fact, tho I think it still has a better
chance than HD-Audio did, as with 42-inch or larger screens, quad-HD does
arguably provide a discernibly better viewing experience, while HD-Audio
simply isn't better enough for most people to justify paying more for it,
as people do when a technology is new.

So if not within 5 years if quad-HD doesn't take off, within 10-15, as
networks speeds get fast enough to competitively deliver quad-HD quality
and the next level isn't enough better to justify paying, I expect even
video will succumb to net delivery, and physical media of any sort will
begin to look like floppies or 8-tracks do to us today -- hopelessly
obsolete.

But back to topic...

Unless you have some unusual use for them, floppies /are/ obsolete, and
I'd simply disable it in the BIOS, as in fact I had done for several
years with the floppy on my old machine before I upgraded.  Then the
system doesn't see the floppy even if it's still physically installed,
and you've nicely solved your popup problem at the hardware (well, BIOS,
so firmware, unplugging it would be the hardware...) root! =:^)