[kde-linux] KDE - What is 'Meta'?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed May 8 15:04:32 UTC 2013

Duncan posted on Mon, 06 May 2013 04:52:34 +0000 as excerpted:

> I will often deliberately move the mouse to the screen I want the window
> on then launch, if launching with hotkeys, or will click a link in my
> feed or list reader then immediately move the mouse to the screen where
> I want the browser window to appear, hoping I can move fast enough to
> get there before the window appears.  Since firefox takes a bit to
> start, I usually can, if no other firefox windows are open at the time.
> Otherwise the window appears too fast, beating my pointer move, and I
> have to drag the window to the screen I intended it to appear on.
>
> After writing that, come to think of it, perhaps having hotkeys to move
> the window to the appropriate screen isn't such a bad idea.  Dragging
> the window isn't terrible when I lose the pointer move race, but just
> hitting a hotkey would be nice, too.
>
> I just have to figure out an appropriate hotkey, since the usual
> suspects are already reserved for desktop switching, etc...  But maybe
> I'll try it later and see what I can come up with...  Watch this space.
> =:^)

OK, found meta-ctrl-F1 and meta-ctrl-F2 were free, and assigned them
under kcontrol, common appearance and behavior, shortcuts and gestures,
global keyboard shortcuts, kde component kwin (dropdown), window to
screen 0 and window to screen 1, respectively.

It works as expected.  Hitting those keys now moves the active window to
the appropriate xinerama/randr screen. =:^)

(FWIW, I'm considering installing a third monitor, smaller but the same
resolution as my other two, as my system status display.  That'd get it
off my top monitor, giving me two full-screen displays, 42-inch full-HD
1920x1080, for work, instead of using the top 170 pixels of the top one
for system status.  The third monitor is one of the 21" full-HD monitors
I was using before I upgraded to the 42-inch monitors, and AFAIK, all I
need to do it is a display-port-to-DVI cable, since the third output on
my graphics card is display-port, and the monitor is DVI.  But that's not
too expensive.  And I already have the monitor and wall-mounting hardware
for it.  Then I'd have a meta-ctrl-F3 as well, tho I'd probably seldom
use one of the hotkey combos as the third monitor would be dedicated to
system status graphing and logs, the systray/notifier, etc.  Otherwise
I'd have probably used meta-ctrl-F11/F12.)