[kde-linux] KDE - What is 'Meta'?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun May 5 11:34:51 UTC 2013

Thomas Taylor posted on Sat, 04 May 2013 17:43:57 -0700 as excerpted:

> On Sat, 4 May 2013 15:16:51 -0700 Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I want to enable keyboard shortcuts for moving windows from screen to
>> screen. (monitor to monitor on the same desktop) When searching around
>> on the web I see people doing it with Meta+F1, Meta+F2, etc., but
>> somehow I am not discovering what Meta is.
>>
>> What's 'Meta'?
>>
> Meta is just a label used to identify a key you have configured.

Perhaps more directly to the point (as hinted at by the below), meta is
often the key commonly referred to as the "win" key.  Depending on
configuration, "the Win key" is usually detected as one of meta/super/
hyper.

> To configure a "meta" key go to "start > Configure Desktop > Input
> Devices> Keyboard > Advanced > click on Alt-Win key behavior > choose
> the meta key choice you prefer in that list.

That appears to be a rather distro-customized path.

AFAIK by default it'd be the kickoff application launcher, computer tab,
system settings (tho as I generally point out, with a few exceptions the
settings found there have little to do with the system in general, but
are in reality user specific settings, most of which are additionally
specific to kde, and for the exceptions, it's still the kde-specific
method for configuring them, so the kde3 name kcontrol was FAR more
accurate).

Then once in kcontrol/system-settings, it's hardware...  After that the
path is the same, keyboard, advanced tab, alt/win key behavior...

That lets you configure the ctrl/alt/win key, but there's another
alternative as well, handy if your keyboard doesn't physically have that
key in the first place, but equally useful if you simply prefer to use a
combination other than the default.

And since the window-to-screen shortcuts aren't enabled by default, a
stop here appears to be necessary in any case.

Again in kcontrol/system-settings, but under common appearance and
behavior, shortcuts and gestures, global keyboard shortcuts, choose the
kwin component from the dropdown.  Near the bottom of the list (most
likely after scrolling) can be found the shortcuts in question, window
to...  Note that you can send it to "Desktop" N or to "Screen" N.  The
original request specified monitor to monitor on the same desktop, which
is indeed "screen", and that's an available option.

>> Also, in a related way, is there a way to have KDE always place apps on
>> Screen 1 and then I move them vs having a new app show up on the screen
>> that has the most recent focus?

I believe so, yes, tho I've never actually used that functionality as
while I do have multi-monitor, I prefer that new windows always appear on
the monitor/screen with the mouse, which is the way I have it set.  Let's
see if I can remember/find where I saw the options I believe control
this... yes...

kcontrol, workspace appearance and behavior, window behavior, window
behavior, focus tab.  Take a look at the separate screen focus and active
screen follows mouse options.  Looking at their help descriptions and
again at your request, it doesn't appear that they fit your /exact/
request, but perhaps with a bit of experimentation you can find an option
that works for you, even if it's not exactly what you requested.

*BUT* I think I found what you're looking for in a different location...

Still in the window behavior "group", switch to window rules.  Setup a
new and rather generic rule, not applying to a specific app, but to all
of them.  On the window matching tab of the new rule dialog, set an
appropriate name, and you probably want to limit the "Window types" to
"Normal window", or at least unselect dock and desktop window types (and
probably utility and dialog types as well, tho that's your decision... a
bit of experimentation may be in order...).  But the rest of the options
on that tab should probably remain "Unimportant".

Then on the size and position tab, check the screen option, apply
initially, and make sure it's set to the screen number you want.

OK out of the dialog and hit apply, then try it and see if it does what
you want.  Adjust accordingly.

If there's some windows you need to make exceptions for, you'll need to
create new rules for them, limiting them appropriately on the window
match tab where you left "unimportant" for the generic rule.  It used to
be that rule order determined which rule got applied if they conflicted,
but I'm not sure that's true any more.  You may have to modify your
generic rule so that it does NOT apply to the exceptions, as well as
setting up the exception rules.  Alternatively, if it's appropriate for
the individual exception, you can set it to "force" instead of "apply
initially" and that should override the generic "apply initially" rule.
However, that'd mean you couldn't move the window from that screen, so it
probably isn't appropriate to force in most cases.

Finally, since I know Mark is a gentooer, it's worth noting that the
whole "screen" idea we're talking about is based on the xinerama
abstraction.  Which means setting USE=-xinerama should turn it off and
treat the whole desktop as a single xinerama screen.  Formerly, several
kde components had the xinerama USE flag, but that appears to no longer
be the case.  I was experimenting with the flag for a different reason
(plasma related, FWIW, but the story's a bit long to explain here) the
other day, however, and it seems the USE=xinerama flag that applies to
qtgui now controls the option as applied at runtime for all of kde.  At
least it controlled it for plasma and kwin.

So depending on the effect desired, it's possible to toggle USE=xinerama
on for qtgui, and have both kwin and plasma be xinerama-aware, or toggle
it off, and have them both treat the entire desktop as a single xinerama
screen.  I left USE=xinerama for now, as I'd have to setup or adjust a
bunch of window rules to get the effect I want in kwin if I turned it
off, but setting USE=-xinerama for qtgui did have the expected effect in
plasma, so if I eventually decide to go with the option I was looking at
(a desktop much larger than the combined size of my monitors, with
panning...) I now know how to get plasma to behave itself better in that
case than it seems to otherwise, and I can setup appropriate window rules
for kwin, to deal with it.  Thus my experiment was a success and I now
know what the effect is on both kwin and plasma, even if turned xinerama
support back on, for now.  That gave me the information I wanted, and I
can continue developing the plan I have in mind, /in/ my mind, until such
time as I decide I want to try actually deploying the whole thing as I'm
designing it to work.  We'll see...