[kde-linux] kprinter Where are property settings saved?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jul 27 15:21:33 UTC 2013

Aguilar, Frank posted on Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:56:59 +0000 as excerpted:

> I am using kprinter version 3.5.4 (with RedHat Enterprise Workstation
> release 6.3). In the kprinter gui I am selecting "Fit plot to page"
> which is found under Properties, then the HP-GL/2 tab. When I click
> Save, what is the name of the configuration file "Fit plot to page" is
> being saved to and where is it located? And can I copy the configuration
> file to multiple workstations?

I don't have a printer so I can't answer the specific question, but I can
tell you how to find the file yourself. =:^)  I normally use strace for
this sort of thing.

First get the kprinter GUI ready to save, then find its PID using your
favorite process lister. (The process listing available from krunner
should work; click the little chart button in krunner, and it should open
a process list where you can find kprinter's PID.)  Then in a terminal
window (like konsole) run...

strace -p<PID> -feopen

... and back in kprinter hit the save button.  Back in the strace you
should now have your file results. =:^)

<PID> is of course the kprinter process ID you found previously. -f
traces thru forks (just in case you need it), and -eopen tells strace to
only monitor file-open calls.

You could of course also strace the whole kprinter run, but most x-based
apps open hundreds or thousands of files including fonts, icons, config-
files, libraries... so you'd then have to either sort thru all those or
grep the output to filter it to something reasonably manageable.  By
attaching the trace to an already running process using the -p option,
you should avoid all the startup and previous file accesses, so will have
less to search thru.

Once you know where the file is, you should be able to open it in a text
editor and see the content, thus seeing whether it's suitable to copy to
other machines.