[kde-linux] CUPS help PLEASE!

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Jul 17 23:57:38 UTC 2013

James Tyrer posted on Wed, 17 Jul 2013 07:25:20 -0700 as excerpted:

> It appears that the 1.6.x releases of CUPS print worse on my line
> printer.

This is simply background information as I haven't had a printer in
several years, but I've been reading about it in my various FLOSS-related
news feeds.  In case you didn't know, Apple, who bought out the folks
formerly sponsoring cups and its developers, has *SERIOUSLY* (and
extremely controversially) changed it recently (for 1.6 IIRC), basically
ignoring the Linux use case and dropping the former support for it,
resulting in huge problems on the Linux side.

A project to take up the slack and continue maintenance and development
of the filters and other cups infrastructure for the Linux side was
established and is now sponsored by the Linux Foundation which should
take care of the problem going forward, but the transition hasn't been
exactly smooth, to put it mildly.

So either expect and be prepared to deal with and work around hopefully
temporary printing issues such as yours until everything settles down, or
if possible, consider staying with older working cups for another year or
so, /then/ upgrade, after everything has hopefully settled down and works
once again.