[kde-linux] centos 6.4 x64 can not login to kde, Could not start D-Bus. Can you Call qdbus?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 14:06:30 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 05:32 AM, Han Jiang wrote:
> hello all, just did an upgrade from 6.3. to 6.4, i found that i can not
> log into kde.
> after selecting kde at login screen, it shows an ugly window saying
> Could not start D-Bus. Can you Call qdbus?

Well, I should first ask which login screen.  Is it a GUI login screen?
  Is it the KDE login screen.  Presuming that the answer to both is yes:

> and only one ok button, if i click it, it returns to login screen.
>
> gnome desktop is fine though.

And you logged into the GNOME desktop through the same login screen?

> how can i fix it ? thanks !
>
> the error is :
>
> startkde: Starting up...
> /usr/bin/startkde: line 283: 12207 Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> qdbus > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
> startkde: Could not start D-Bus. Can you call qdbus?
> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

Well, if you look at the: "startkde" script at line 283 we find the
error message and just above:

if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then
     eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
fi
if qdbus >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
     : # ok

Now, you have two possibilities.  Either:

eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`

failed.  Or:

if qdbus >/dev/null 2>/dev/null;

failed.

Since GNOME worked.  I would think that it is the second one that is the
problem.

Now you said that you tried:

> export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt4
> export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH

But, where did you try them?  These should be on your system somewhere
(although I am not sure that the second one is correct, but it is your
system so you are the one that knows -- just check it to be sure).
These need to be in a file for them to be executed every time the system
boots.  The file should be named:

	Qt.sh

and if your system is normal, it should go in the directory:

	/etc/profile.d

You can also look in: /etc/profile and see if there is a function for
prepending paths to a path string.  If so, you can use that for adding
to your PATH instead of the way you did it.  That is, on the LFS/BLFS
distro it would be, FOR EXAMPLE:

	pathprepend $QTDIR/bin

I don't think that this has been standardized; so it will be different
for your distro.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch