[kde-linux] Polkit configuration and KDE integration

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Dec 27 05:28:23 UTC 2013

Stuart posted on Fri, 27 Dec 2013 08:51:23 +0400 as excerpted:

> Thanks for your input.  I was going to use it, but since you layed out
> the problems, I wont.  Was just hoping to find way to harden install
> without requiring all the password prompts for specific user actions.

What you might do is backup the existing files, then use it to do your
edits, then take the edited files and put them in polkit's /etc directory
(where local system level changes are supposed to go, or the individual
user dir if appropriate), replacing the changed system files with the
ones you backed up and moving/deleting any added ones.

Thus, the files would end up in the locations polkit intended, distro-
shipped overridden by a separate local system setup, where appropriate,
but the distro shipped files would remain untouched, so updates could
replace them as normal without getting into the morass of
unpredictability that the tool's raw edits coupled with further system
updates, can leave you with.

Meanwhile, my own solution was to use gentoo's USE flag feature to
disable and remove all kde polkit support and requirements entirely --
it's not on my system at all.  I'm suspicious of any X-based tools that
require privilege and always have been, preferring text terminals (either
VC or from within konsole) for anything that requires superuser privs in
the first place, and I prefer manual mounting, etc, as well (and run ntp
so don't want the GUI user screwing with system time either), so that
wasn't a big deal for me in the first place, but I do understand why a
lot of folks wouldn't be particularly comfortable with such a solution.