[kde-linux] High dpi screen

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 20 10:11:17 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-18 14:48 (GMT) Tim Pigden composed:

> I've recently acquired a notebook with 3200 x 1800 screen
> After reading various posts I thought KDE would be able to do the right
> thing. However, I've set the dpi in system settings | Fonts | Force fonts
> dpi - which works fine for fonts but things like the scroll bar, close
> buttons and those sorts of icons remain almost invisibly tiny.
> Is there some way to change everything?

Globally forcing DPI to an arbitrary high value will enlarge all screen
elements. There are various methods for forcing DPI, but the one I use on
virtually every installation is putting DisplaySize in either xorg.conf or
50-monitor.conf. Sample values for more common screen resolutions are in
http://fm.no-ip.com/Share/DisplaySize which for 3200x1800 can only be a guide
to how DisplaySize can work. Be aware that if you are using Firefox that DPI
192 or above is likely to produce perplexing results that may need to be
dealt with separately through hidden prefs in about:config.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/