[kde-linux] Solved: Remove file association for many file types

Klaus Slott list-s at vink-slott.dk
Sun Dec 1 12:33:46 UTC 2013

Thanks Duncan for pointing me to the problematic file.

On November 27.  2013 21:49:27 Duncan wrote:
> Klaus Slott posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 21:25:15 +0100 as excerpted:
> > For some time now VLC seems to be default selection on my kde profile no
> > matter what kind of file I open.
[..]

> The GUI method (one by one but all in the same place, at least):
>
> KDE settings
[..]
> Take a look at the various video/* and audio/* types, and possibly some
> image/* types as well
I could live with VLC being default for audio and video. But VLC have hooked
in on almost everything like rpm-specfiles, shell scripts, text files. Even all
OpenOffice file types (OpenOffice files  still is default to OpenOffice because OO
seems to have a higher priority).

So removing VLC associations via KDE settings seems to be a huge job.

> Direct-edit text-config-files method:
>
> First, query your package installation database ... for the files installed
> by the vlc package.
> Based on the results I get here, the following files look interesting:
>
> /usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop
Yes had looked on this file previously, but nothing in this file seems to
explain why VLC is associated with unrelated files.

> This is the main *.desktop file with the menu entry and mimetype list for
> vlc.  Note that near the bottom it has a looonngg MimeType= line.
There is a lot af mime types, but to me they all seem legitimate for a media
player.

> This is the default list.  Also note the X-KDE-Protocols line.
I am unsure what they do:
klaus at roaster:~> grep X-KDE /usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop
X-KDE-Protocols=ftp,http,https,mms,rtmp,rtsp,sftp,smb

But anyway I never messed around with this file and other user accounts on this
machine do not have VLC dominate everything.

> At the user level, check ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list .
> This may or may not exist.  If it does, it will likely override the
> system stuff.
>
> *** THIS ***
> In the same ~/.local/share/applications/ subdir, look for any vlc*.desktop
> files.  Again, this will override system defaults.  I don't know how to
> "whiteout" mimetype entries, but I suspect if you use the GUI to remove
> vlc from one association, it'll show up in this file as a whiteout, and
> you can use that pattern to whiteout others via direct-edit.
> ***/ THIS***
And this directory was where the problem was! Here  I found 2 interresting
files: mimeapps.list  vlc-2.desktop

Replacing both with files from another user stopped VLC world domination.

Thanks again.

--
Regards
Klaus