[kde-linux] grub and grub2

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 15 08:44:55 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-13 22:30 (GMT-0400) Doug composed:

> I have Win 7, PCLOS, and Korora on a machine here. PCLOS boots off of
> original grub, but Korora boots off of grub2. I installed Korora last,
> and the boot order shown at power up has Korora first.

> I like the PCLOS boot screen. Can I just boot into PCLOS and run
> redoMBR and have everything boot off of original grub? I know how to
> modify menu.lst to change boot order.

> If not, what must I do to at least change the boot order in
> the Korora grub2 setup? (I'd like to have it show Windows first, then
> PDLOS, then Korora.)

Multiboot is as much art as science. Since you want Windows to be default,
why not use Windows' bootloader? It can (chain) load Grub, meaning MBR can
contain standard code that a new Linux installation would have no good reason
to disturb. Have a look at http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/install-doz-after.html to
see how it's possible.

Grub2 can be left alone if installed to the / partition from whence it came
(or ignored altogether), then a stanza easily added to Grub Legacy's menu.lst
to either load kernel and initrd from that installation's /, or chainload its
bootloader.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/