[kde-linux] "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files"

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 4 02:30:27 UTC 2013

On 08/03/2013 04:08 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday, 2013-08-03, James Tyrer wrote:
>> On 08/02/2013 12:37 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>>> On Friday, 2013-08-02, Duncan wrote:

<SNIP>
After further investigations, I have to say that I am the first one to
say that I don't know exactly what is going on here.  I am now unable to
reproduce the problem which make it rather difficult. :-| It appears
that if everything is properly configured, or possibly (?) not
configured, that it works without the file.

>> Yes, that is the question here.  I thought that kdeinit was supposed to
>> restart it if it wasn't running.  However, it might appear that we have
>> reached that point that the code base has grown to the point that we
>> don't know how it works since there are clearly D-Bus calls being made
>> to start: "kded".
>
> No. As explained above this is something the D-Bus daemon does on its own.

Yes, that makes sense, self starting daemon.  OK.

However, not to go over the same thing again, but I do have this
puzzling error message:

rekonq(13587)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned
initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "The name org.kde.kded was not provided
by any .service files"

clearly indicating a missing: "org.kde.kded.services" file.

And other instances for the same D-Bus call as well.  Another one from
starting: "plasma-desktop" was also regarding: "ktimezoned".  But, that
was not the only problem that I was having.

Since you understand D-Bus better than I do, perhaps you can explain
what you think happened that resulted in the above error message.  From
your previous explanation, it is my understanding that some KDE code
used D-Bus to send a message to Kded which D-Bus didn't find so it tried
to: initialize() Kded but didn't find the Service file to do so and the
error message was issued.

I note that I cannot reproduce the error by removing the file in
question so there must have been something in a configuration file
somewhere that was also part of the problem.

I do note that a Google search turned up other reports of errors for:

"The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files".

It appears that the file is needed under some circumstances.

Has the code base become so large and complex that we really don't
understand how it works in _all_cases_?  I emphasize the _all_cases_
because it is important to consider all possible cases, not just the
normal ones, when designing code.  It appears obvious that I (as well as
some other users I found with a Google search) somehow generated a
non-nominal case where the code would not work without this file.  To
say that it is non-nominal cases that cause bugs to appear is to merely
restate the obvious.

Since I can not reproduce the problem, I can only suggest that KDELibs
should install the file based on the established fact that it is
possible for code to call the file in some circumstances and there
appears to be no easy way for a user to fix whatever problem that caused
a call to the file.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch