[kde-linux] "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files"

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Aug 2 10:22:24 UTC 2013

Kevin Krammer posted on Fri, 02 Aug 2013 09:37:46 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Friday, 2013-08-02, Duncan wrote:
>> James Tyrer posted on Thu, 01 Aug 2013 21:12:11 -0700 as excerpted:
>> > I have looked at this and have reached the conclusion that the file:
>> > 	/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.kded.service
>> >
>> > is simply missing on my system.  I have installed 4.10.3
>>
>> > It appears to work with the most basic contents [snip]
>>
>> Interesting, because as I said I have no such file here.
>
> Nobody has. D-Bus service files are for services that want to be D-Bus
> activated, i.e. started by D-Bus if a message is sent to their well
> known name.
>
> This is very handy for on-demand services, since any application using
> them doesn't have to care about whether it is running or not.
>
> kded has been around for way longer than that, it is started by code in
> KDE core libraries. In a KDE session that would happen as part of
> startkde's working.
>
> I guess adding a D-Bus service file doesn't hurt for such cases that
> kded went away unexpectantly.

Thanks for the explanation.  Makes perfect sense.  I was thinking similar
thoughts but don't know enough of the technical side of dbus to have been
confident enough to post them, so it's very good to have confirmation
that the thoughts I had were indeed on the right track. =:^)